We are excited to be adding a home visit program to our list of available services at Sensory KIDS!
How We Can Help:
At Sensory KIDS, occupational therapy goals are set with a child’s caregivers & therapist working as a team. These goals are functional and individual to each family’s needs. We use relationship-based methods to ensure that your child feels supported while being continually challenged to progress in goal-focused areas. We believe strongly that caregiver involvement is the key to success in therapy & we are bringing it to your home!
Therapy sessions are child-driven and fun, while subtly structured so that your child can find the “just-right success”. The focus of our therapy is developing automatic and appropriate responses to increase success in daily activities, and to develop meaningful relationships. During each session your occupational therapist serves as coach, educator, and team member so that you may participate actively and learn strategies for home, school, and the community.
Unlike therapy in a large gym, we will work with you & your child in your home. This allows the therapist to observe your child in their most natural setting & during interactions with you. We use a problem-solving tool, created by Dr. Lucy Jane Miller, that considers not only sensory needs, but the big picture of each child & family. This tool, called A SECRET, is a problem solving approach that gives families the ability to understand a child’s individual strengths & challenges. We pass on our therapeutic problem-solving approach so it’s No Longer A SECRET! With this understanding families are able to create a sensory lifestyle to support children in varied settings.
Most importantly, this approach helps to form a solid foundation for the development of social-emotional skills, self-regulation, & self-esteem.
After the initial assessment your therapist will work with you to set a treatment plan*. Our home visit program is set up as a short-term program to help you implement strategies into your daily routines. This program may be an excellent follow-up to a round of intensive therapy at Sensory KIDS.
What to Expect:
We are looking forward to working with you! Here is what you can expect:
1) We will send our initial client paperwork, which includes a battery of questionnaires, history form, list of fees, & client agreement (you will not be asked to complete this paperwork if your child has recently completed therapy at Sensory KIDS).
2) We will schedule a time for the initial evaluation in your home. (In many cases a home visit program may be recommended after a round of therapy at Sensory KIDS. In that case a brief re-eval may be appropriate)
3) The evaluation will be completed by the therapist, with you present
4) We will schedule an adult-only parent meeting approximately 1 week after the evaluation*
5) At this meeting the therapist will review findings, answer questions, ask further questions about your child’s strengths, preferences, & daily routines, set goals & expectations
6) Treatment will take place in your home, with you & your child
8) We prefer intensive bursts of therapy, 6 – 10 sessions (which may include adult-only parent meetings), 2-3 times per week
9) Adult-only parent meetings will be scheduled throughout the burst of therapy to discuss process & recommendations
10) Shorter booster sessions may be recommended at subsequent developmental stages, or to reinforce and enhance the changes achieved during the initial intensive program
*If your child has not had services at Sensory KIDS, or at another facility, your therapist may recommend a more thorough sensory evaluation in the clinic.